Sunday, July 12, 2009

Photography Class: Assignment 1

I've been wanting to take a photography class for a long time, since all my photography so far has pretty much been self-taught. So I finally got around to signing up for a Photography 101 class at the Pasadena Art Center, as part of their Art Center at Night program. The class was once a week for six weeks, in May and June. I'm so glad I took it - a lot of the information was stuff I learned in film school, but hadn't paid enough attention to at the time, and was slightly different for still photography.

We had one assignment per week, based on what we'd learned in the class before. Our first class was about aperture and shutter speed, and how they work together. Our assignment was to take several different photos of the same subject at different shutter speeds and apertures, but trying to achieve the same exposure for each. There is some math involved in these formulas, and even though math has never been my strongest subject, between how it was taught to us and the user-friendly settings on dslr cameras, I was able to manage.

These were all taken with my 50 mm lens, ISO 100 on my Canon 20D, manual settings.

f/2.0, 1/1000 second

f/5.6, 1/125 second

f/22, 1/8 second

f/2.0, 1/3200 second

f/8, 1/200 second

f/22, 1/25 second


So they pretty much all look the same as far as the lighting and the exposure, which was the point of the assignment, but there are subtle differences, mostly how much or little of the background is in focus with the distinct settings.

0 comments:

Search This Blog

Labels

About Me

My photo
Los Angeles, CA, United States
A filmmaker and photographer, I live in Los Angeles with my amazing husband, our pet turtle and cat.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP