Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Los Angeles Derby Dolls

Anyone who knows me well could easily tell you that I am not into sports. I am completely uncoordinated when it comes to playing sports and just not interested when it comes to watching sports. The one exception to this is Roller Derby. I went to my first LA Derby Dolls game a few years ago and was instantly hooked. The games are fast and action-packed, the players are charismatic, and the fans are really into it. Matt and I and some of our other friends have been going ever since. Along the way, I became friends with lovely and talented Gori Spelling, one of the jammers for the 2008 and 2009 champions, the Tough Cookies. For awhile now I've wanted to take photos of a derby bout, but cameras aren't allowed in for the general audience. Gori was nice enough to let me be her family photographer for a recent game and I was really excited to take pictures for the first time.

Because of how fast the skaters are going and the low light of the arena, some of the pictures are a little dark and grainy, but I was pretty happy with how enough of them turned out. I'm hoping I'll be able to take more in the future and will keep getting better with practice.

Here are a few of my favorite shots, but there are a lot more to check out here.







0 comments:

Search This Blog

Labels

About Me

My photo
Los Angeles, CA, United States
A filmmaker and photographer, I live in Los Angeles with my amazing husband, our pet turtle and cat.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP